Sunday, May 9, 2010

On Photography

Since I began blogging, I've been taking pictures of the miniatures using a table with several lamps arrayed around it. I haven't been terribly happy with the resulting images. My chief complaints have been with uneven lighting, and the inevitable glare off the varnished figures.

Friday night I took the picture below for a recent post on the Green Mountain Boys. I found it especially bad, and as the weather was pleasant here on Saturday, I brought the same group of miniatures outside to see what difference natural light would make.

Indoors

Outdoors

I much prefer the outdoors image. I was frankly surprised at how much better the colors appear under natural light. To prevent glare, I placed a paper shield above the miniatures. (Unrelated to where the picture was taken: I also used for the second picture a grass mat that better complemented the minis).

No comments:

Post a Comment